- Download the Office Deployment Tool and copy it to a folder on your hard drive (for example, C:\Office Deployment Tool). The Office Deployment Tool can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117
- Double-click the downloaded Office Deployment Tool executable to extract the setup files. These files can be extracted to the same folder from the previous step.
- Download the Office Deployment Tool configuration file (attached) and save it in the same folder as the Office Deployment Tool.
- Determine the build number of the version you’d like to install. Microsoft provides a list of updates and their build numbers here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date
- Open the Office Deployment Tool configuration file that you downloaded in step 3 and update the Version attribute in the <Add> element with the targeted build number. The Version attribute should contain “16.0.” plus the build number. For example, if the targeted build number is 13231.20360, the version attribute would contain “16.0.13231.20360”:
<Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Current" Version="16.0.13231.20360">
- Uninstall the following applications:
- MathType (if applicable)
- Microsoft Word
- Open a command prompt with administrator privileges by doing the following:
- Click Start > Windows System
- Right-click on Command Prompt, then click More > Run as Administrator
- In the command prompt, navigate to the folder where the Office Deployment Tool was extracted by entering the following command:
CD C:\Office Deployment Tool
- Run the Office Deployment Tool setup by entering the following command:
setup.exe /configure ODT-Config-13231.20360.xml
- Word should download and install, and will notify you when everything is ready.
- Reinstall eXtyles and MathType (if applicable).
How do I install a specific version of Word?
Modified on: Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 11:36 AM
Did you find it helpful?
Can you please tell us how we can improve this article?