The eXtyles software and hardware requirements and recommendations are as follows:
- Microsoft Windows (32- or 64- bit): 7, 8, 8.1, or 10, or Windows Server 2008, 2012, or 2016
- Note: eXtyles supports 64-bit Windows, but does not support 64-bit Microsoft Office. Learn more here.
- Microsoft Word for Windows (32-bit version only): 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, or 2019
- Note: eXtyles supports Word 2016 in build 3334 and later
- 1024 × 768 screen resolution (minimum)
- 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, i7, or Xeon dual-core CPU equivalent or faster (recommended: systems less than four years old)
- 4 GB RAM (minimum; Inera recommends twice the minimum Microsoft specification for any combination of Windows and Word)
- 1 GB free HD space to install
- Internet access for PubMed/CrossRef matching/uploads and URL validation
- MathType 6.5 or later required for conversion of MathType equations to XML or LaTeX
Not sure what version of Word you are using? Learn more here.
If you're purchasing new hardware, keep in mind the following recommendations:
- Raw CPU speed is the most important factor for eXtyles. Get the fastest CPU you reasonably can. Adding multiple CPUs or more than two cores doesn't add any speed if eXtyles is the only process you're running because eXtyles is not multi-threaded
- Make sure you have a "reasonable" amount of RAM. You don't need to go overboard, but you also don't want bare-bones. We usually recommend double what Microsoft recommends for the combination of Windows and Office on the given OS. Again, you may need more if other processes also run on the system
- We recommend a Solid State Drive rather than a hard drive these days because reliability has improved through the years, and we do see a performance difference running eXtyles.